Sunday, May 3, 2009

34 weeks: "A watched baby never bounces..."

Only six weeks to go! (Or, around six weeks to go, knowing that these things are never exact.) Can't believe how fast these last weeks are flying by. We're starting to get so excited to meet our little one...and we're also consciously savoring every minute of sleep, knowing that soon they will be few and far between.

Our progrgress to date:

Nursery walls are done! (We need to take and post some pics.) Mike scored an awesome dresser on Craigslist, which we'll be painting next weekend. I can't wait till it's ready and we can begin washing and putting away Baby's little unisex wardrobe! We've also got a rug and a rocking chair. Mike and my dad put up curtain rods last weekend and I ordered curtains today. I am most anxious to find a bookcase for the baby's already extensive library--I'll admit, I've been going crazy buying books since I found out I was pregnant.

We had our five-hour newborn parenting class today--it was so much fun. The instructor was great, the class was informative and interesting, and it turns out Mike has some serious swaddling skills...he was churning out baby burritos like nobody's business! We learned a lot and are fairly confident that we will not break the baby, which is our primary goal.

Also this weekend, we received a very generous gift from my co-workers--for those of you who check the blog...thank you so much!

I am still feeling great for the most part, but can't deny that the third trimester has been significantly more uncomfortable than the previous two. A few days ago I came across the following quote regarding this stage of pregnancy, "with the growing weight of the body you can expect difficulties in breathing, sleeping, walking, and sitting"...not exactly encouraging, but an undeniably accurate description.

One irritating thing...the baby moves like crazy all hours of the day, but stubbornly refused any time my mom tried to feel...for the entire four days that she was here! I told Mike, it's like that saying, "a watched pot never boils"...which he promptly altered to "a watched baby never bounces"...an apt description of this frustrating phenomenon, which also occurs just about any time a friend or co-worker wants to feel a kick.

No comments: