Monday, June 2, 2008

Mike goes surfing

In my continued attempt to californianate myself, I took a surfing lesson this past weekend. I've always wanted to learn how to surf, but just have never had the opportunity. So last Saturday I went up to Bolinas, which is north of San Francisco, up the coast on the Point Reyes National Seashore. I booked my lesson and rented my wetsuit and board from 2 Mile Surf Shop and I was on my way.
The lesson was 1.5 hrs and then we were free to stay out as long as we wanted - which for me was about another 45 min before my arms felt like they were going to fall off.
All in all it was a cool experience. I was better than I thought I'd be, but far from being what you would call a surfer. Believe me when I say it is harder than it looks.
Here are some pics of Bolinas. I would've gotten one of me up on a board, but I couldn't find a place to put the camera in the wet suit...




walkway down to the beach








apparently I am welcome here








confusing sign in the water


I would soon join them...


wetsuits are tight, literally


HWY 1 - outside of Stinson Beach


HWY 1 - outside of Stinson Beach

No comments: