Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dancing in Decatur!



So, I was in Decatur all last week (okay, so it's two weeks ago now)--believe it or not, for my dance recital. Every ten years, my old studio invites all the alumni back to perform a dance in the recital. This is a pretty big deal--we even made the Herald & Review--check this out. Talk about fun. It was awesome to see everyone and even more fun to be caking on stage makeup, practicing moves I hadn't even thought about in years, and performing on stage! It was not so awesome seeing all the "little girls" from when I was in high school...they're in college, some are married...it's not often that I feel old, but that sure did it.

I flew into St. Louis and went straight to the home of my dearest dancing buddy and best high school pal, Kristy, to meet her adorable new baby, Evie. So sweet! (Excuse my blank stare, but this was the best one of her cute little face).


Luckily I made it home just in time for torrential rains, tornado warnings and lots of thunderstorms (which I really miss--it doesn't thunder in SF). Lake Decatur was overflowing, so I guess these ducks decided they'd rather hang out in our storm-ravaged pool.


Now, on to the main event.

Dress rehearsal on Thursday:


Mike came into town for the first two shows. Bless his heart, he ignored the theater rules and captured some great video of Saturday's performance! Splicing together my mom's video of the first part of the dance from dress rehearsal and Mike's footage of the last part from Saturday's performance we've pretty much got the whole thing! Considering that most of us learned this off of video segments on YouTube and only put it together the night before the first show, I think we did pretty well.


My poster from the theater lobby:


Me, Leah, Kristy (and Evie!), Lisa and LeeAnne


Everyone (or most, at least) at the reception following Saturday's performance.


Post-performance margaritas:


In addition to recital festivities, I fit in lots of family time. Unfortunately, the most fun pictures would have come from our gathering with my Uncle Gary and Aunt Denise's family...but in my excitement to hang out with my cousins, their many children and the two new babies I sort of forgot that I had the camera. Some family moments that I did capture...

With Grandma Goad


With Grandma Will


Grandpa trying to figure out his camera


Uncle Matt with Logan


All in all, a super-fun trip and I'm already practicing my moves for the 30-year reunion...

(We just returned from friends Keith and Kara's wedding in Mexico--check back soon for Cancun pics!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate for sharing this video with me! It was fun watching my miraculous quick costume change! Tell Mike, while he may have mastered ignoring theatre rules, he needs to work on keeping the camera straight! :-) Just kidding. Have a great day!