Monday, July 21, 2008

"The coldest winter I ever spent..."

So...I know that Mike will be on soon, sharing all the pics from the festive birthday weekend. I just thought I would share a few of my thoughts on my first San Francisco birthday.

Let me start with the temperature...I don't think we hit 55 degrees the entire weekend. Granted, it gets very, very cold in the mid-west...but July is pretty safe. I've always had a warm birthday. Occasionally warm and stormy, but always warm.

A few birthday firsts for me...

I had never:

worn a coat and scarf on my birthday;

eaten my birthday dinner under a heat lamp;

had an outdoor birthday party where guests were visibly and uncomfortably cold;

had a birthday party where everyone drank beer and wine but yearned for a hot toddy.

I am not complaining...Mike orchestrated a lovely birthday weekend...it was just cold. I believe it is only appropriate to end with the chillingly accurate quote attributed to Mark Twain:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco"

Ahh, and I see that our friends the Senns have added similar sentiments to their blog...

No comments: